So, there is to be another baby in the family. This has shaped up to be a busy year for babies, and it has really helped me start to get the hang of baby quilts! I decided that I wanted to make a baby quilt for a lovely young couple in our extended family, who are having their first baby. They live well to the north of us here in the temperate southeastern U.S., so, even though the baby is due in July, I thought a nice warm quilt would be a wonderful “welcome to the world” gift for a little one.
I love honeybees, and, in theory, I love the idea of beekeeping. The problem is that I am afraid of getting stung! We have a couple of acquaintances who recently started hives, and I collected a small library of books about beekeeping before I decided that it really wasn’t for me. It did, however, get me thinking about the notion of fabrics with a honeybee theme. This seemed much safer!
These are the beautiful fabrics I found online when I was googling “bee” fabrics, and I was smitten! Yellow and blue is one of my favorite color combinations, and I bought the fabrics without a specific project in mind. When I finally saw the fabrics in person, though, the combination of the bees and the cheerful colors just said “baby quilt” to me!
I have a bit of a bad habit of buying fabric without a pattern in mind, so I end up winging it fairly often! With this quilt, I decided I would try a pattern of half square triangles .
I really thought that the HST pattern worked well, and I chose the size of my blocks to get the most out of the fat quarter sized pieces. I chose to pair the colors with white, for a lighter, cleaner look, that I thought would work well in a nursery.
I still considered myself a novice when it comes to FMQ, but I thought a very mathematical and symmetrical pattern like this needed rounder lines and a more organic look in order to soften the appearance. I was looking for something to really break up the angular lines. The fabrics were very organic in appearance and I chose to echo the flower pattern in the quilting.
I was so nervous to start this one. Sunflowers seemed like a reasonably easy pattern that I could repeat, and quilt in a continuous fashion. I also (rightly, it turns out!) thought they could hide any little mistakes. It was a slightly bigger baby quilt, and the big, loose pattern made it easier to get finished before our visit up north.
I like how the navy really sets the rest of the colors off and provides good contrast.
I used an off white and navy fern patterned fabric for the backing. I chose to name this one Hive. (Not hives). We were able to give the Mum the quilt this spring, and I’m pleased to say that she really seemed to like it!